Monday 13 July 2015

Air Canada 1176: YVR-YYZ

Ah, the dreamliner - my new favorite plane. This is my second time on Air Canada’s fantastic choice of aircraft and is really a window into the future of air travel. 

From the electrochromic windows to the widespread use of LED lights and to Air Canada’s choice of business class seats, they’ve really hit the hard product out of the part.


I’m on my way to Copenhagen connecting through Toronto. I am expecting this exact aircraft I fly to YYZ will eventually continue on its way to CPH where I will be sitting in the premium economy section. 

Today’s plane is tail C-GHPY, an almost brand new 787 which entered service a few months prior to my flight. Air Canada’s aircraft is configured in three classes, with business, premium economy, and economy.


In business class, Air Canada has launched a brand new seat which is like my favorite Cathay seat - reverse herringbone lie flat - a very private configuration of seat which I am looking forward to possible catching an hour or two of sleep as my prior nights relatively short nap was not sufficient. Travel always raises my anticipation the day before, and my adrenaline always makes it harder to sleep the night before a trip.

It’s clear Air Canada is proud of this plane. I overheard the senior purser talk  to a passenger on end of Air Canada’s plans for future 787-9 orders and how the seat will proliferate to the 777 albeit with less J seats as apparently these seats do take up more volume.. but it’s worth it. Although this is my second time in this seat, I’ve discovered new features.

One discovery is the comfort option for the seat softness. Holy crap, this was definitely a surprise and I am delighted as I can actually feel a difference.




My first time flying the seat, I had complaints that the seat did not actually lie flat. On this flight, I've discovered that the headrest was just extended and with a short wait, the headrest became flush with eh rest of the seat. 

Onto the food. I started with the usual scotch alongside my nuts. Usually it's sparkling water or scotch, but if you've read my posts, this should be well known to you.

The starter was a finely designed salad which required some deconstruction from it’s cucumber wrap. Once released, the super fresh greens alongside fennel, tomato and asparagus were reminiscent of quality one would see from a high end Italian restaurant or a expensive trendy organic grocery store. Balsamic vinegar and olive oil were served as the salad dressing in a mini condiment bottle.




The beef tenderloin itself was underwhelming. Slightly overcooked, dry and tough -  it's sustenance but not enjoyable. I would find on my following onward flight to Copenhagen, that the beef was much better even though I was flying a lower class. 


To finish in typical Air Canada fashion, gelato and a fresh baked cookie which I accidentally began consuming prior to taking a shot.


Menu shot - click for a large version. 


No comments:

Post a Comment